Thursday, August 9, 2007

Why he gave up on himself

Just wanted to share my comment posted here:

http://www.longtail.com/the_long_tail/2007/07/why-i-gave-up-o.html

Rather then giving up on Second Life - he gave up on himself......

my comment:

Welcome to the land of New Media. I'm sorry you didn't get the proper introduction or explanation when you first landed in SL. But like myspace, facebook, etc. Second Life is merely a vehicle into the Metaverse. You and only you alone drive this vehicle - yes you may pick up friends and hitchhikers along the way but still it's you in the driver seat. If you posted a page on myspace what would you have done to get eyes? Network with users, groups interested in your topic/genre, post your page on different sites etc. Second Life acts in the same way. This "build it and they will come" mentality didn't work with web 1.0 and won't work now. Marketers, developers, and content creators in SL fail to realize it's about YOU, not your build and not your fancy cars. It's you the writer behind the avatar we want to know. Great you have a budget and can build something spectacular. After I've been there and seen it, why would I come back again? I find it ironic when the criticisms come only from failed attempts. Don't blame the car because you can't drive a stick shift.

Very similar to first life it's about networking, meeting the right people, sharing your experiences, and learning from others. Now yes you're thinking I can do that in real life. At what point did someone say second life is a replacement of real life? It's a way to compliment your marketing needs, not be the sole provider.

The best advertisement in web 2.0 right now is viral. If you network and meet the right people they will do the rest for you. Good luck.

In addition...

In the case of companies, it's the actual brand we want to learn about. Maybe we're looking for the inside scoop on a new product? Maybe we're looking to find some trash talk about why the CEO made a certain decision, or maybe we come to test your product. In the end our curiosity of your company pulls us in.

It's funny how developers talk about not throwing the brand out in front. Not pushing the logo and banners. HELLO? Dude I came to your event, party, sim, whatever because I heard it was by Playboy - bring on the bunnies. (Just a note marc @ green grotto did and continues to do an amazing job marketing playboy. He was smart - he used the brand to get attention.) When I attend an event I expect to interact with the host.

The developers that can pull this off for their clients will have constant repeat visitors to each and every event. If you can feed me my fill, I'll come back for more - girl likes to eat. If not I'll just go eat at the other developers buffet.

No comments: